[ipxe-devel] Support allmroms target

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Wed Mar 30 15:24:10 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 30 Mar 2011 15:55:10 Bastian Blank wrote:
> There is currently no support for zrom, so allow usage of allmroms and
> make allall work.

I had already removed .zrom before I saw your mail, sorry:

  http://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commitdiff/8399488

I've modified and applied your "allmroms" patch:

  http://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commitdiff/293e347

There is a substantial caveat that I should mention regarding "allmroms".
.mrom will not work for all ROMs; it requires a NIC that has both an expansion
ROM BAR, and at least one memory BAR that is at least as large as the
expansion ROM BAR.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to determine from the PCI vendor:device ID
whether or not these requirements are met, because some vendors use the same
vendor:device ID for PCI cards (which do have an expansion ROM BAR) and LoM
parts (which don't).

For the time being, at least, the decision to use .mrom rather than .rom is a
non-trivial manual decision.