[ipxe-devel] eepro100 vs qemu

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Tue Mar 15 01:25:51 UTC 2011

On Monday 14 Mar 2011 19:57:35 Alex Williamson wrote:
> Ok, sorry for the distraction, I think I can explain it now.  Last week
> I was testing large (8G) guests.  Today I was trying to figure out how
> the pcnet32 image ever worked because I couldn't make the old gpxe or
> the new ipxe image work.  Eventually I discovered that it worked if I
> used a smaller guest memory size (512M).  I then used that to test all
> the images under qemu, followed by kvm.  Unfortunately nothing boots
> under kvm with a 512M guest.  In fact, I can only boot these ROMs if the
> guest has 3.6G or more (note that qemu/kvm currently has a 512MB I/O
> hole, so this means there's memory bounding the hole on both sides).
>
> This was introduced with the commit above, 132c3917.  So we've still got
> a blocker for refreshing the current ROMs.  Thanks,

Thanks for this.  I can reproduce a PMM failure using the current qemu git
tree with -enable-kvm.

(On a related note, did the qemu invocation syntax change at some point?  I'm
sure I used to have to type "-no-kvm" to prevent KVM from being used; now KVM
seems to be disabled by default.)

Will investigate.