[ipxe-devel] SAN Boot Windows XP with USB-NIC.

jerrycheng-hinet jaspers.cheng at msa.hinet.net
Thu Mar 10 16:53:31 UTC 2011

Hi, Michael,

Because I'm using NB as client device (has no COM port for sure), I can only
use USB to COM cable + null modem. I took a lot of time but fail to use them
to capture the debug msgs.
So I try to take the phto of the screen. I can't get a clear picture but I
think the value should be right.

>> Could you build with DEBUG=undinet and tell me what is shown for the
>> lines

>>  UNDINIC 0x<address> uses IRQ <irq>

I found the following 3 lines in red:
UNDINIC using UNDI 0xc0a59078
UNDINIC 0x17990 is 00:50:fc:8e:c7:8d on IRQ 11
UNDINIC 0x17990 has type DIX+802.3, speed 10000000, flags 0000cc1b

>> That message must be coming from NTLDR rather than iPXE.  Could you try
>> building with DEBUG=int13, so we can see what is happening?

There are a few lines of hex dump after "Registerd as BIOS drive
0x80/Booting from BIOS drive 0x80". Because the screen scrolled too fast, I
can't get message of the hex dump.
I can only see the final 2 lines showed "Booting from SAN device 0x80/INT 13
drive 80 booting" after the hex dump.

I originally think it should be the similiar issue like "booting windows xp
from USB device". After a few days of work, following the instructions of
http://www.ngine.de/article/id/8, I can successfully boot windows xp via USB
flash drive.
Then, I try to install all of the NB drivers to the flash drive, install "MS
iscsi initiator" and "sanboot" to the flash drive, use flash drive to make a
image file, and used ipxe to sanboot this image file. However, the result
remained the same. The screen hanged at "Couldn't open drive
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/NTLDR couldn't open drive
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)".

Could you please give me some suggestion about the next step? Thanks in
advance!

Regards,
Jerry