[ipxe-devel] VMPlayer + iPXE + iSCSI Boot + Fedora 14

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Thu Mar 10 03:51:35 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 09 Mar 2011 21:42:41 Hsuan-Yeh Chang wrote:
> I've switched to vmplayer from virtualbox and got the attached screenshot.
>
> What I did:
> 1. Re-Install Fedora 14 to an iSCSI target, using a virtual machine.
> 2. Sanboot using vmplayer with iPXE.

I'm slightly suspicious of the "udev: renamed eth0 to eth0-renamed" line in
your screenshot.  I wonder if udev is doing something unpleasant here.

Are you using the same VM for both the installation and the subsequent SAN
boot attempt?

I have tested Fedora installation direct to iSCSI as follows:

1. Configure dhcpd.conf to hand out the iSCSI root-path, and a filename pointing
to the Fedora PXE installation.

2. Boot the VM.  You should see iPXE connect to the iSCSI target and then
start the Fedora installer.  The Fedora installer will automatically pick up
the iSCSI target disk.

3. Remove the filename from dhcpd.conf.

4. Allow the VM to finish installing.  When it reboots, it should boot from the
iSCSI target disk.

This works for me.  How does this differ from your procedure?