[ipxe-devel] SAN Boot Windows XP with USB-NIC.

rulerof at gmail.com rulerof at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 18:44:57 UTC 2011

Hello Jerry,

You're likely right about this:

> I think it should be the similiar issue like "booting windows xp from USB
> device". Do you have any idea or suggestion about this issue?

Booting Windows from USB has had a very long and buggy history. I don't
think that Windows will ever, by default, consider the USB or its attached
devices to be considered "boot critical," so booting from a USB NIC is
likely to encounter the same and more obstacles than booting from a USB
Flash drive or USB HDD does.

Though seeing this:

> In ipxe, I got more detail fail reason. The screen hanged at "Couldn't
> open driver multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)".

Windows only uses ARC paths for BIOS level operations. As such, you could
be seeing an issue with either iPXE *or* your system's BIOS at this point.
You *might* have better luck if you try a different motherboard/bios combo.

I wanted to mention also that I understand Windows 7 has been more
gracefully(?) booted from USB sources. If you're trying to use Windows XP
or 2003 for this, it may be worth starting with Windows 7 and working your
way back. The forums at http://reboot.pro are a good place to start.

Best of luck with this, too. It's kinda neat :)

Cheers,
Andrew Bobulsky