[ipxe-devel] SAN Boot Windows XP with USB-NIC.

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 17:07:58 UTC 2011

On Thursday 03 Mar 2011 16:56:37 jerrycheng-hinet wrote:
> > a) try running the "dhcp" command at the command line and, after it fails
> > with
> > the same "Connection timed out" error message, run the "ifstat" command
> > (http://ipxe.org/cmd/ifstat)
>
> Still got connection timeout message. Then run the "ifstat" command, it
> showed:
> net0: 00:50:fc:8e:c7:8d on UNDI (closed)
>   [Link:up, TX:4 TXE:0 RX:0 RXE:0]

That confirms that iPXE is seeing no received packets.

> > b) try setting a static IP address as described on the error page
> > (http://ipxe.org/4c106035), and see if you can ping it from the DHCP
> > server.
>
> Fail to ping the static IP address. Got "Destination Host Unreachable"
> message.

That is consistent with not seeing any received packets in iPXE.

> It's weird that by using the same USB-NIC, and almost identical DHCP
> configuration, DHCP function seems to be ok in gpxe.

If you have a known-working version tag (e.g. v1.0.0, which is common with
gPXE), then you could use git bisection (http://ipxe.org/howto/bisect) to
track down the commit that causes the problem.

The only change I can think of that might be relevant to the UNDI driver is

  http://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commitdiff/006d9f1

It's possible that your card is erroneously reporting that it doesn't support
interrupts, when in fact it requires the interrupt-triggered call to
PXENV_UNDI_ISR_IN_START in order to make packet reception work.  You could try
overriding the interrupts-supported detection logic using the attached patch.