[ipxe-devel] trouble booting CentOS from Netapp iSCSI LUN

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 00:14:51 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 02 Mar 2011 23:24:29 Scott Classen wrote:
> >> any ideas why it's trying to open some device at http://ipxe.org ???
> >
> > It isn't.  It's trying to direct _you_ to look at
> > http://ipxe.org/2c0d603b , where you will find some hopefully helpful
> > suggestions relating to the specific problem you are seeing, along with a
> > link to the exact line of the iPXE source code that is generating that
> > specific error.
>
> duh! Thanks for the pointer
> OK I'm now looking at my Netapp while the iPXE machine is booting and
> I see the following error:
>
> Wed Mar  2 15:17:10 PST [mynetappfiler: iscsi.loginFailure:warning]:
> ISCSI: iSCSI login failure, 'Invalid TargetName
> iqn.2010-11.com.big.samos'
>
> but if I do an  igroup show an my Netapp I see that it is a valid Target:
>
> netapp*> igroup show
> iqn.2010-11.com.big.samos (not logged in)
>
> I'll continue to mess around with it, but it looks like some sort of
> formatting or communication problem between the iPXE iSCSI initator
> and the NetApp.

I think it's most likely to be either an ACL on the NetApp box (with a
misleading "Invalid TargetName" error message meaning "Invalid Target for this
Initiator"), or possibly NetApp is sulking because the usual (but technically
optional) ":xxxxxxxx" trailing portion of the iSCSI IQN is missing.

When you find out what causes it, please feel free to update
http://ipxe.org/2c0d603b with some helpful NetApp-specific hints.  :)