[ipxe-devel] SAN Boot Windows XP with USB-NIC.

jerrycheng-hinet jaspers.cheng at msa.hinet.net
Wed Mar 2 18:40:58 UTC 2011

Hi, all,

My client machine is Acer TravelMate 3000 which already got a Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet. I can sanboot windows xp successfully via this Gigabit ethernet port.

Now, I got an "Argon 10/100MB USB Fast Ethernet Adapter with PXE" in my hand. It is an USB interface NIC. I want to use it to sanboot windows xp.

Its driver and PXE support were loaded by FDD. To let it works in BIOS, I have to set USB-FDD as first boot priority.

When I used gpxe, it seemed can find out the root path, but the screen hanged at "Registerd as BIOS drive 0x80/Booting from BIOS drive 0x80".

Then I tried to use ipxe. But it seemed to hang even earlier at DHCP phase. The screen hanged at "Connection time out (http://ipxe.org/4c106035)".

I used wireshark to capture the trace of both fail cases and attached it inside.

Could anyone give me some suggestion about this issue? Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Jerry