[ipxe-devel] Need help with SAN boot Windows XP.

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Tue Mar 1 17:14:30 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 01 Mar 2011 17:01:20 jerrycheng-hinet wrote:
> After updating the latest iPXE, I did get the error message showed "Nothing
> to boot: No such file or directory (http://ipxe.org/2d03e13b)".
>
> I follow the hints to use the iPXE command line to perform DHCP manually. I
> found iPXE always got DHCP configuration from attached wireless router,
> which only got an IP address without filename and root-path assigned.
>
> In gPXE, it seems always gets the wanted DHCP configuration from the DHCP
> server, then I can successfully sanboot the windows xp from the assigned
> root-path.
>
> Is there anything I can do to avoid DHCP configuration from wireless
>  router? What should I do to get the wanted DHCP configuration from DHCP
>  server? Thanks!

Generally, you should never have two DHCP servers on the same network.  For a
stable, long-term solution, you should probably disable DHCP on the wireless
router.

As a short-term fix, you can use the ipxe.priority option to boost the priority
of the offer provided by dhcpd:

  option space ipxe;
  option ipxe-encap-opts code 175 = encapsulate ipxe;
  option ipxe.priority code 1 = signed integer 8;

  # Boost priority from 0 to 1
  option ipxe.priority 1;

The default priority is zero, so a priority of 1 should be sufficient to ensure
that the offer from dhcpd is always selected, provided that both offers are
seen.