[ipxe-devel] iPXE with Virtualbox

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Tue Mar 1 16:14:16 UTC 2011

On Saturday 05 Feb 2011 22:41:15 Matthew Walster wrote:
> On 26 January 2011 23:39, Michael Brown <mbrown at fensystems.co.uk> wrote:
> > Tested in bochs, qemu and kvm, but would appreciate reports for other
> > hypervisors (especially VirtualBox).
>
> I've tried Virtualbox 3.2.8, and I get the ISOLINUX 4.01 splash,
> followed by "Loading ipxe.krn...ready." but then it goes no further.
>
> Interestingly, disabling "Enable VT-x/AMD-V" makes it work again,
> perhaps there's something funky in Virtualbox?

I've just pushed a commit that seems to fix this problem for me:

  http://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commitdiff/90563f6

Without this commit, I see the behaviour you describe: a lockup after "Loading
ipxe.lkrn...ready" when VT-x/AMD-V is enabled.

With the latest iPXE, I am able to successfully load ipxe.iso in VirtualBox
even with VT-x/AMD-V enabled.

Please let me know if this fix works for you.

Thanks,