[ipxe-devel] [gPXE] executing in memory gpxe script

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Tue Jul 26 17:20:36 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 26 Jul 2011 18:05:54 Larry Brigman wrote:
> >> I would suggest something like:
> >>
> >>     kernel /boot/ipxe.lkrn \
> >>        ifopen net0 && \
> >>        set net0/ip 192.168.0.3 && \
> >>        set net0/netmask 255.255.255.0 && \
> >>        set net0/gateway 192.168.0.1 && \
> >>        chain http://my.server/my.script
>
> Is there some options that need to be set inside of ipxe to allow the
> command-line to take like the embedded script?
> How do you determine what is in the embedded script?

You specify the iPXE initial command line by appending it to the "kernel" line
in the grub configuration file, as shown in the example I gave you.

As I said previously, you cannot pass an iPXE script in an initrd image, but
you can use the initial command line to get much the same effect.

If you are finding that your initial command line is being ignored, you can try
enabling DEBUG=cmdline to see what iPXE is picking up from grub.  To build
from source:

  make bin/ipxe.lkrn DEBUG=cmdline

or you can use a prebuilt binary from

  http://build.ipxe.org/ipxe.lkrn?DEBUG=cmdline