[ipxe-devel] Problem with iPXE in VirtualBox

Mircea Vutcovici mirceavutcovici at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 00:27:56 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Michael Brown <mbrown at fensystems.co.uk>wrote:

> On Friday 06 May 2011 02:44:15 Mircea Vutcovici wrote:
> > The previous capture has the packets truncated.
> > I've made another test and the capture is attached.
>
> Thanks.  I can't tell from your packet capture whether or not any packets
> are
> being received.  Please either use the latest iPXE code (which will provide
> enough diagnostic information in the packet trace), or let me know what you
> get from the "ifstat" command after the failed DHCP attempt.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for you answer.
After various test I've discovered that the problem is happening only when I
am using ICH9 chipset for the guest VM.
If I am using PIIX3 chipset I have no problems. The issue is still happening
with the latest version of iPXE and Virtual Box.

iPXE: 149b502306f7b5f7cc9d90cf2095f8dc6576375f
VirtualBox: 4.0.12 r72916 linux.amd64

The host details:
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
Motherboard: Asus M2N-E
Kernel: 2.6.38-10-generic
OS: Ubuntu 11.04 64bit