[ipxe-devel] Getting system architecture

Oliver Rath rath at mglug.de
Wed Jul 6 14:58:02 UTC 2011

Hi MIchael,

On 07/06/11 16:33, Michael Brown wrote:
> [..]
> Unless I'm misreading RFC 4578, there's no value for option 93 that
> differentiates between 32-bit and 64-bit platforms except under EFI.
>
> What value would you expect a 64-bit PCBIOS system to send for option 93?
Oh, you're right. It is only differentiation on efi-bios, tested it
successfully (PC with Intel E6300 w. 64bit support sends x86pc identifier).

Anyway, the idea I have why Im asked for is the ability to boot
different systems depending on hardware, i.e. there are a 32- and 64-bit
versions of parted magic (www.partedmagic.com), so i could choose the
64bit one if hardware supports it.

Furthermore, it could be interesting in the near future for arm-based
systems.

Interesting for you, too?

TfH!

Oliver