[ipxe-devel] Using iPXE with UNDI driver

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Fri Jul 1 09:05:13 UTC 2011

On Friday 01 Jul 2011 05:06:05 Philip Lantz wrote:
> How does iPXE detect a UNDI driver? I have written a UNDI driver for a
> experimental network device. I load my driver from the EFI shell and then
> run ipxe.efi, but iPXE doesn't find my device. (I am using the binary found
> in bin-i386-efi\ipxe.efi after having done 'make everything'.) I am
> completely comfortable with poking through the iPXE source code and/or
> running it in a debugger to figure out what it is (or is not) doing, if
>  only I knew what it is supposed to be doing.

Under EFI, iPXE can either use a built-in iPXE driver (i.e. something under
drivers/net), or use an existing EFI network device via an EFI SNP interface.
Your driver needs to provide an EFI SNP interface, or rely upon components
that consume an EFI UNDI interface and provide an EFI SNP interface.

> Also, the web site tells how to specify the DEBUG option at build time, but
> it doesn't give any hint how to figure out what names are possible.

It's a list of object names, which is (in almost all cases) equivalent to a
list of source files.  If you want to enable DBG() statements in foo.c, use
DEBUG=foo.