[ipxe-devel] iPXE with Virtualbox

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Wed Jan 26 23:39:32 UTC 2011

On Monday 24 Jan 2011 12:45:18 Michael Brown wrote:
> Thanks for tracking this down, Matthew.  It's annoying that flat real mode
> seems to cause problems in some hypervisors, even though it works on real
> hardware.
>
> I can't just revert this change, since some later commits (e.g.
>  "[romprefix] Add .mrom format") depend upon it.  I'll rework it to use
>  some form of protected mode instead.

Have pushed a series of changes that should (hopefully) fix this.  We now use
16-bit protected mode for access to high memory during decompression.

Tested in bochs, qemu and kvm, but would appreciate reports for other
hypervisors (especially VirtualBox).

(As a nice side-benefit, iPXE now starts instantaneously in kvm, rather than
taking a second or so as kvm hammers its way through hundred of thousands of
vmexits.)