[ipxe-devel] Newbie Information required: Building a Compile environment...

Thomas Miletich thomas.miletich at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 11:14:39 UTC 2011

Hello
building iPXE doesn't require a very complicated setup.
Most of the tools should be pre-installed on every distribution, but
you might have to install gcc and binutils.
I don't use SuSE myself, but a quick google search revealed that executing

zypper install -t pattern devel_C_C++

as root should download and install all the packages required for C
and C++ development. This should be sufficient for iPXE.
Just cd into the src/ directory and type 'make'. It will complain
anyway if there's something missing, so you can install it.

To get rom-o-matic working on your own server you need a running
apache server with PHP installed. Simply copy iPXE somewhere in your
wwwroot directory and put the rom-o-matic files into the iPXE
directory. There is a config file in the rom-o-matic files where you
may have to alter the iPXE source path.
Then simply access the URL to your rom-o-matic setup and you should be
good to go.
It's a good idea to run 'make' in the iPXE directory before you access
rom-o-matic though, as the first request could timeout otherwise.
In older rom-o-matic versions you also had to manually build 'make
bin/NIC', but I believe that is done automatically on newer versions.

Hth
Thomas