[ipxe-devel] iPXE support of 10 Gigabit X540-AT2 (Device 8086:1528)

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Fri Dec 16 19:16:46 UTC 2011

On Friday 16 Dec 2011 07:45:16 Avatar Lin wrote:
>     We would like to make iPXE support 10 Gigabit X540-AT2 (Device
> 8086:1528). The driver name is Intel "ixgbe". Should we modify Intel
> ixgbe driver for iPXE , or try with other methods ? Please advise us.

There is no current ixgbe driver for iPXE.

In general, porting the equivalent Linux driver is a bad idea, and leads to
code with a large footprint and a high maintenance burden.  I would recommend
that you obtain and understand any relevant datasheets, then create a driver
from scratch.

I would estimate that creating a driver from scratch for a well-documented
card should take no more than a few days.