[ipxe-devel] ixpe cmdline not processing

Shao Miller Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Wed Aug 3 05:44:26 UTC 2011

On 8/3/2011 01:27, Larry Brigman wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Shao Miller
> <Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca <mailto:Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca>> wrote:
>
>     On 8/2/2011 20:02, Andrew Stuart wrote:
>
>         On 8/2/2011 2:13 PM, Larry Brigman wrote:
>
>             I have a grub line for ipxe but it's not processing the
>             cmdline as it
>             thinks there is nothing there (see attached screen shot).
>             I'm using the main git repo with the last commit of:
>             commit 149b502306f7b5f7cc9d90cf2095f8dc6576375f
>             Author: Michael Brown <mcb30 at ipxe.org
>             <mailto:mcb30 at ipxe.org> <mailto:mcb30 at ipxe.org
>             <mailto:mcb30 at ipxe.org>>>
>             Date:   Sat Jul 16 01:29:20 2011 +0100
>
>             Some clues on how to troubleshoot this issue?
>

>         While I don't have any sound troubleshooting advise for you, I
>         am curious if the following commit may have broke something
>         (for you).
>         My git-fu is non existent, but I am curious if you were to
>         roll back
>         previous to that commit, if it would change anything.
>
>         Also, since it appears relevant to your use, it might indicate
>         where you can add some extra debug information to see what's
>         going on.
>
> I've added a little but it doesn't seem to tell me anything since it
> just says zero length.

Just to clarify: You've responded to Andrew Stuart's post there, but
also confirmed my guess down below.  Thanks. :)

>         Mind you, I am a lurker/tinkerer. Doing as I suggest may very
>         well kill
>         your [cat|dog|fish|child|significant other].

>         commit be600ed9967d93f5012d5277d7ce8c e89d135918
>         Author: Michael Brown <mcb30 at ipxe.org <mailto:mcb30 at ipxe.org>>
>         Date:   Tue Jun 28 11:29:28 2011 +0100
>
>            [prefix] Cope with BOOT_IMAGE= anywhere within command line
>
>            Some bootloaders seem to add "BOOT_IMAGE=..." at the end of the
>            command line; some at the start.  Cope with either variation.
>

>     Woo-hoo!  What a nice feature. :)
>
>     One of the files involved is ipxe/src/arch/i386/core/ cmdline.c.
>      Your screen-shot, Larry, shows:
>
>      CMDLINE found ""
>
>     which is a message that comes before the "BOOT_IMAGE=..." stripping.
>
>     It might be interesting to add some temporary debugging code to
>     show the 'len':
>
>      static void cmdline_init ( void ) {
>          size_t len;
>
>          /* Do nothing if no command line was specified */
>          if ( ! cmdline_phys ) {
>              DBGC ( image, "CMDLINE found no command line\n" );
>              return;
>          }
>          cmdline_user = phys_to_user ( cmdline_phys );
>          len = ( strlen_user ( cmdline_user, 0 ) + 1 /* NUL */ );
>          DBGC ( image, "CMDLINE is %zd bytes\n", len );
>
>          /* Allocate and copy command line */
>
>     However I would guess that it'd show 0.

That guess.

>     What version of GRUB and does a simple commandline work?:
>
>      kernel /ipxe.lkrn config
>

> Tried it with:
>
> kernel /ipxe.lkrn shell
>
> still not joy.

Ok.  I was partly wondering if GRUB might've gotten jumbled up while
parsing the command-line, either due to its length or due to the
operators.  I guess not (assuming "no joy" means "same debugging
output"). :(

> Grub version 0.97-13.5 from Centos 5.

Well now it is hopefully reproducible by another person, at least.

- Shao Miller