[ipxe-devel] 'brief' network device list

Greg Jednaszewski jednaszewski at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 18:17:29 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm working on building an interactive boot ISO using iPXE, and I'd like to be able to prompt the user for the interface to configure (either statically or via DHCP).  I want to print out a simple list showing just the device name, MAC, and whether the link is up/down, like this:

Devices present:
 net0:  00:00:00:00:00:00    Link Up
 net1:  11:11:11:11:11:11    Link Down

This information is available with 'ifstat', but that is kind of verbose for a user to look at, especially if there are many NICs in the system. If I implement this kind of brief listing, is it preferable to make it an option to ifstat (e.g. "ifstat -b"), or a new separate command?

Thanks,
Greg