[ipxe-devel] ipxe configuration files, forum

Dylan's PCs dylanspcs at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 18:06:31 UTC 2011

On 04/04/2011 01:50 PM, Michael Brown wrote:
> On Monday 04 Apr 2011 15:19:04 Dylan's PCs wrote:
>> For direct links to a specific version of MyBB:
>> http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Versions
>> However the link you have above for "latest" refers at all times to the
>> latest "Stable" release.
>> We've just moved all development over to git (on github) so you can
>> always download any exact revision from there.
> That's great; I should be able to persuade github to generate a tarball from a
> specific tagged revision, which will give me the kind of permanent URL I need.
>
> Is there an "official" MyBB git tree on github?

Sure is: https://github.com/mybb/
Though it doesn't seem like our SVN tree has moved there yet.
So for now you'll likely want to use that, which you can find info on here:
http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/Development:SVN_Access

>> Of course, you're using
>> MyBB in a production environment, so you really just need the latest
>> stable link above to always stay up to date with the latest stable.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, why are you packaging it as an RPM?
> It reduces the entropy in the system configuration by an order of magnitude.
> Installing the RPM is a one-line command, and ensures that all the file
> permissions etc are correct.  Apache is automatically reconfigured and
> stopped/started as necessary.  Upgrading (and downgrading, in the event of a
> regression) becomes trivial, with no risk of accidentally leaving the wrong
> versions of some files lying around.  Files can be included in the system
> security audit, which looks for unauthorised modifications.  Dependencies are
> installed automatically, and protected against accidental removal.  I could go
> on!
>
> Michael

Good reasons all. But MyBB doesn't need Apache to restart or any of
that, which is why I wondered.
I didn't think about the security audits and such though, its a good
point. Hopefully you'll never need to downgrade ;)