[ipxe-devel] DHCPv6

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Thu Nov 11 01:40:49 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 10 Nov 2010 20:03:49 Jarrod Johnson wrote:
> Wanted thoughts on DHCPv6 for eventual DHCPv6 boot.
>
> With RFC5970 existing, is iPXE planning to start making a go of it, or
> waiting for Intel to further specify implications for PXE?
>
> If proceeding to implement DHCPv6 netboot, for DUID behavior, will
> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dhc-duid-uuid/ be a good
>  approach (obviously, I think it would be)

My reading of that draft is that we would use the SMBIOS UUID (as is already
available via ${uuid} and used in iPXE DHCPv4 requests as option 97).  Is this
correct?  If so, then it seems sensible to me; it's pretty much the only
system-wide identifier that we can reliably share with the loaded OS.

I have no specific timeline for DHCPv6 boot, though from a brief reading of
RFC5970, it looks as though it fits quite well into the way that iPXE works
(boot file specified as a URL, parameters specified as an argv[] list).