[ipxe-devel] Incorrect next-server (QIP + Microsoft RIS/WDS)

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Wed Jul 21 12:32:52 UTC 2010

On Monday 19 Jul 2010 18:04:18 Tim Wright wrote:
> > The easiest fix (if you can do it) would be to stop the QIP server from
> > handing out its apparently spurious next-server address.
>
> I wasn't even aware that it did until I stumbled across this issue and
> setup a sniffer. Looking through the ISC dhcpd configuration guide, the
> next-server directive defaults to the IP address of the DHCP server itself
> if not specified. I guess we could experiment with hard-coding the
> next-server to 0.0.0.0 or something to see if gPXE ignores it? Any ideas
> here?

Yes, setting it to 0.0.0.0 would cause it to be treated as "not present" and
should solve your problem.

> Lastly - excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between gPXE/iPXE?

iPXE is the not-quite-yet-public continuation of the gPXE project, following a
series of disagreements with the person who (unfortunately) owns the
etherboot.org and gpxe.org domains.  Sad but necessary.