[ipxe-devel] Incorrect next-server (QIP + Microsoft RIS/WDS)

Tim Wright tim at binbash.co.uk
Mon Jul 19 20:45:40 UTC 2010

Hi Michael

Interestingly I just found this. Will run it past our IP Services team, but this may provide the workaround I'm looking for (without firmware changes) if gPXE will use the proxydhcp/next-server if next-server equals 0.0.0.0....

Quote:
The upstream ISC DHCP 3.0.2+ removed the defaulting of
next-server to the DHCP server's address, to be in compliance with the RFCs :

From /usr/share/doc/dhcp-3.0.2/RELNOTES:
'
- The siaddr field was being improperly set to the server-identifier when
  responding to DHCP messages.  RFC2131 clarified the siaddr field as
  meaning the 'next server in the bootstrap process', eg a tftp server.
  The siaddr field is now left zeroed unless next-server is configured.

Cheers,

Tim

Sent from my iPhone