[ipxe-devel] [gPXE] Download from TFTP server:

Michael Brown mbrown at fensystems.co.uk
Thu Dec 16 15:26:54 UTC 2010

On Thursday 16 Dec 2010 15:19:13 Anton Yakovlev wrote:
> I set up "boot filename" DHCP option to value of
> "\windows\i386\startrom.com" and everything worked fine. PXE ROM
> downloaded files ("Ntldr" and so on) from the directory
> "\windows\i386".
>
> Now I try to use gPXE,  and, from loaded gPXE, invoke next commands:
> > dhcp net0
> > imgfetch -n startrom /windows/i386/startrom.com
> > imgload startrom
> > boot startrom
>
> And the question is why PXE client try to download all other binaries
> ("Ntldr" and so on) not from "\windows\i386", as I expected, but from
> "\" directory?

The PXE client picks up the "filename" setting, and uses that to deduce the
base directory.  You should be able to make it work in iPXE using

  dhcp net0
  set filename \windows\i386\startrom.com
  chain ${filename}

If your DHCP server is already providing the filename
"\windows\i386\startrom.com", then you can omit the "set filename ..." line.
You can check the filename provided by your DHCP server using

  dhcp net0
  show filename

Note also that you must use backslashes instead of forward slashes for the
WinPE NBP.